Monday, July 25, 2011

Injuries ! What a Bummer!!

It seems like forever since I've been able to play pickleball, and it seems like Rich is playing non-stop!!!  I've lost track of time, but it's probably been close to four weeks now.  Twisted the knee on the pickleball court.  Rested it for better than a week.  Tried to play, but called it quits after two games.  Waited another week and purchased a brace for the knee which  allowed me to play for several days in a row.  But last Saturday, with the brace on it hurt like a hoot when I turned for a backhand shot.  Seems like when I stop or start real fast or move the knee to the side that it just feels like something is "moving" and it hurts!  Went to the doctor on Monday hoping to get an MRI an see what's wrong.  He told me he "thought" I had bruised the ligaments, even though I was not in any pain, and could walk OK - just not too fast.  Even though I insisted that I did not need a shot of cortizone........HE INSISTED that I did.   The shot didn't hurt at all, but the knee sure did for the next two days.    He's on vacation until August 19th...........................and whatever was wrong with the knee is STILL wrong.  

In the meantime, Rich is playing every day and sometimes twice a day.  Last year it was him who was having the medical issues with his feet and was out of commission.  And while I truly wish I could get back on the court, I am so happy that he is able to make up for all the time he lost last year.  He is definately taking advantage of every single day.......

But what is that saying?  "Count your life with smiles and not the tears that roll."    And over the past few days I've had some pretty big smiles.
Got a chance to talk with my good friend Barb(pictured above with hubby Dennis) who is now out in Oregon.  We were hoping that she and Dennis would head back to Florida this winter.... but it's not going to happen this year.  In the meantime she looks great, feels great and called to tell me that she won her very first PICKLEBALL GOLD MEDAL!!  She and Dennis took the Bronze in the mixed doubles.  But in the ladies doubles she to the Bronze in the B Division and the GOLD in the C Division.  Congratulations!

Then yesterday I put the knee brace on and decided to go for a walk.   It was just after 7:00am.   I hadn't gotten a block from the house when I heard someone make a smart remark.................And when I looked up I saw these  two cyclists stopped in the middle of the road. After removing the sunglasses, I was shocked to see our friends Ken and Lynn Corbett!!!   It took me a couple of seconds as they donned matching helmets and bright neon colored shirts!!!   But Ken and Lynn it was!!!!!  I was so surprised because they were about 23 miles from their home down in Leesburg.  But that's nothing unusual for these two.  They were on their way to Oxford before they headed back and said that this was their 8th Sunday in a row for a cycling road trip.   Gosh I wish I had the camera with me!!!!!   These two looked like a couple of professionals in the "Tour de France"!!!!!!  

What a great surprise!  Absolutely made my day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment