Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Update on this dizzy broad~

If you remember, back in February I experienced some dizziness, nausea and some balance issues.  All the tests came back fine - so I was referred to an ENT (Ear, Nose, Throat) to have the inner ear checked.  When the ENT called to schedule an appointment, I was feeling fine, discussed the situation with the nurse, and since the symptoms seemed to have disappeared we did not schedule an appointment.

Between then and Easter Sunday, I had a few minor episodes of being dizzy, and at times losing my balance.  Finally went to see Dr. Robinson (ENT) and was diagnosed with Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV). Simply put that means that one or more of the little crystals in the organ of the ear the controls the movement of your head up, down, right, left, back and forward somehow move to and get caught in  the hair like sensors in another another tiny organ that controls the rotation of your head.  While it can be bothersome, it can easily be taken care of.    So he sent me for therapy at the CORA.............

CORA is a rehab center here in Lake Placid, where they do balance therapy.   I was introduced to canalith repositioning, or the Eply Maneuver.  This involves fast movement of the head, with different positions, which is supposed to move those crystals back to where they are supposed to be.  They do this maneuver 3 times. The first time - you get very very dizzy, but by the last time you feel almost 100% better.


Generally one session is enough...............So today is no laying down till bedtime, no bending over and elevate my head when I sleep tonight. Then I should be good to go!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment