Tuesday, August 7, 2018

2018 Benjamin Family Reunion - Harris Hill Park, Elmira, NY

On Saturday morning, August 4th, we left Cortland, NY and headed to the town where Rich and I both grew up.  A quick stop to run the car through the car wash, McDonalds for breakfast, and then the supermarket to pick up water, a variety of chips and a dozen Dunkin Donuts, etc. to take with us to our family get together.

Our 2018 Benjamin Reunion was held at the Harris Hill Park in Elmira, NY.  Elmira is known as the Glider Capital of the World - and the soaring takes place at Harris Hill and so it is the home of the National Soaring Museum.


Not sure of the exact number of people who attended.......... but I do know that 127 of them RSVP'd.  It was a wonderful turnout, and I was able to visit with cousins, 1st second and 3rd.... with my Aunt Frannie who turn 98 this month (she was married to my father's brother Mark (aka Popeye).  My father, and all of his brothers and sisters and their spouses have passed.  Aunt Frannie is the last.

Much of the family is still in the Elmira area, but others came from as far away as Florida, North Carolina, and even the NW State of Washington. And yet my brother did not come, and there were still several nieces and nephews who were not able to attend. 

Below everyone finds a seat to enjoy the pulled pork, hot dogs, burgers, and everything else imaginable...except alcohol, which is not allowed at the park. 

 And while many of us found a seat at the table...... many, many more were seated in the shade in their lawn chairs!


The next two pictures are of my nieces and nephews and their families, all descendants of my Dad and Mom, John L and Marjorie Benjamin.  Top left: My sister Sandy's daughter Cheryl Morgan Farr with her family.  Her four siblings( from Arizona/California) and their families are missing.( Top right:  Rich and I joined my brother Jim's Daughter Kathy and Son Tom.  Missing are their siblings and family, Glory, Carol, and Marty.Bottom photo is my brother Don's family.  While nieces and nephews from Florida, North Carolina and Arizona made it there are a good number who could not


Below on the left is my brother Chuck's family (Kathy and Kenny are missing), and on the right is my brother Mick's family. Missing are Bonnie and Kevin & their families.

Below are a couple of pictures of my cousins and their families.....That's my cousin Bruce Thatcher in the center.........My dad babysat for him and his brother Mike when they were very young.


And the kids all had a great time as well.........My niece Tammy made sure they had lots of games to play.

Also in the picture is my Aunt Frannie - the oldest attending, and her great great grand-daughter - the youngest in attendance. !
 We arrived at 11:00 in the morning, and it was after 5:00 in the afternoon when we cleaned up and headed home, promising that we would do this again next year.   And so, we were on the road to visit with our friends in Columbia Crossroads, PA.

No comments:

Post a Comment