Monday, June 15, 2015

Day 2 - On to Hazleton, PA

Friday June 12th - My Birthday!   It was a long day yesterday but we were up early - and I was NOT feeling well. More than just tired - sick to my stomach and a head ache that would not go away.

But, as always, Rich is there to make me feel better.  My birthday present was one of my very favorite presents - A bottle of Chivas Regal.  Too expensive to buy very often - so I love it when he remembers for special occasions!
Thank You Rich!

Neither of us are ready to eat early in the morning, so we were on the road at 7:20am,  headed for Hazleton, PA

This day would be one of several traffic jams, with bumper to bumper traffic, and drivers (especially truck drivers) that would not get out of the left hand traffic lane!  And the first traffic back-up was just 11 minutes on the road, merging on to I 77N.

Our trip took us through NC, Virginia, West Virginia, Maryland and then Pennsylvania  By 9:20 it was time for a DPB, and then the coffee cups were empty so it was a stop at McDonald's..... Rich wanted to stop someplace nice, like Bob Evans or  Cracker Barrel for breakfast, but I was just not feeling well enough to eat.   Around noon - we decided to skip the big breakfast and to just stop at McDonalds for a quick lunch and get back on the road.

Just didn't feel much like taking pictures - but I did grab a few scenery shots of  Lake Norman in Mooreville, and of the beautiful hills of North Carolina and Virginia.


  One more stop around 1:00 for gas at Flying J - and since the Aleve was packed somewhere in the trunk I decided I needed to buy some for the headache.  We finally reached the PA line about 1:45, made another DPB around 2:00 and encountered traffic back ups near Harrisburg, PA and again in Hazleton.  I love the hills and farms and cornfields of the north, and PA and NY are still two of my favorite.


We finally arrived at our hotel in Hazleton about 3:15.  Stayed at the Comfort Inn.  New hotel and very very nice.  Great restaurant and hot breakfast ( which of course we would not have) and very nice rooms.

And before we headed out for dinner I got a Happy Birthday call from my best friend Tonyia.......... Always good to hear from her and Nick, but today was special.  Thank you Tonyia and Nick!!

Once again, Rich gave me the option of going anywhere I wanted for dinner.  The hotel restaurant looked great and they had a very nice selection of dinner entrees.  But it was my decision to just take a walk across the parking lot to Denny's again!!!  Food was EXCELLENT!  Rich had the Spaghetti and Meatballs, garlic bread and a Vanilla Milk Shake, and I had the Bourbon Chicken Stir fry!   Perfect!


And one last thank you to my family and friends who remembered my birthday on face book!  Thank you all for the birthday greetings.

It has been so many years since I have seen my brother David, and tomorrow we will be stopping in Binghamton, NY to visit with him and his best friend Jake ( his dog).  I am so excited! Can't wait to see him.

No comments:

Post a Comment