Saturday, June 25, 2016

Black Lake - Week 2 Comes to an end

The weather this year is not quite as accommodating as it has been in the past.  Seems that one day it is so windy and the water so choppy, that you can't go out, and the next day it's like a sheet of glass.   Yesterday was NO fishing, and today the winds might get up to 3 mpr - which on this HUGE lake means barely a ripple.

But the people that have been here these two weeks are some of our favorites.  Such a friendly, funny and fun bunch of people to hang out with.

Almost every night there has been a campfire, starting about 8:00 or 8:30 and some stay till almost midnight.  Those who don't fish in the evenings start the fire, and those who fish till dark, join the group when they return and finish cleaning their fish!

On Thursday afternoon a large group of us got together for a fishfry. Bill and Mike went out for two days fishing for crappie and had about five pounds of fillets to fry up.  Hosted by Mike  and the PA trucking crew~ Think there was 5 or 6 of them this year.  There was another group of 4 or 5 guys who came over from the  camp next door,  Gary and Karen, Paul and Monica,and the brothers Rob and Chris  ( ALL from PA!!!) Bill and Linda (Rochester, NY) and Rich and I were the only NON - Pennsylvanians!

The trucker group provided the chips and dips ( homemade salsa was excellent)  plates, napkins and silverware, beer and wine, and baked potatoes off the grill.  Linda and Bill breaded the fish and Bill did the cooking.   We had scalloped potatoes, macaroni salad, pasta salad, macaroni and cheese, and even spaghetti!    Great food and great time.....  OH - and Shade was our seven week old canine guest.  Paul and Monica's Brittany Spanial! What a hoot!  He'll be a great little hunter before they know it!  Always great to get our dog fix!

It was a fun late afternoon get together.  Some took off around 6:00 or 6:30 to head out fishing, while others continued to pick on leftovers.  Eveyone moved to the campfire around 9:00  and returning fishermen later joined the fire.    Rich and I headed back early - and skipped the campfire this time!

Mike and his crew left on Friday, but left enough food with Bill and Linda to feed the rest of us for a couple of days!   In the afternoon, Rich and I helped Bill and Linda put up their new canopy/cover.  Not a three minute job as indicated on the box in came in - but we did OK.  It got a little scary when Bill started standing on the table.  

 We always hate to see this group of people leave the camp so it made sense to start using up some of the leftever food!  The group gathered at Bill and Linda's for burgers and salad and deviled eggs and a little pastry for dessert.   Then everyone moved to the campfire.  It was hugs and handshakes and best wishes to all as everyone headed back to their cabins.  With the exception of us and Bill and Linda they all would be heading home early Saturday morning.  

Already looking forward to seeing all of them again next year.  

No comments:

Post a Comment